2017 parliamentary interns graduate
Students from five universities have graduated from our parliamentary internship program this year.
Legislative Council President Bruce Atkinson and Legislative Assembly Deputy Speaker Maree Edwards presented the interns with their graduation certificates during a ceremony held at Parliament House.
Students from The University of Melbourne, Monash University and Victoria University participated in semester one of this year’s program, with students from La Trobe University and Swinburne University of Technology taking part in semester two.
Each intern prepares a research report in consultation with an MP. A number of MPs and academics from the five universities attended the graduation ceremony.
The Presiding Officers’ Prizes for most outstanding intern reports were presented to:
- Benjamin Maltby (The University of Melbourne) for his research report titled ‘Powering Western Victoria — an investigation of electricity generation and storage infrastructure options for Western Victoria’, prepared for James Purcell MLC, Member for Western Victoria
- Samantha McClelland (Monash University) for her research report titled ‘Community-driven change: an analysis of the school and youth sector framework for combating disengagement from education in the Shepparton district’, prepared for Suzanna Sheed MP, Member for Shepparton
- Lee West (Victoria University) for his research report titled ‘Should the SDA (Shop, Distributive & Allied Employees’ Association) get the boot? — ensuring employee association officials act in good faith’, prepared for Robert Clark MP, Member for Box Hill
- Mariam Francis (La Trobe University) for her research report titled ‘Growing up & moving out: an examination of the history, benefits and future of decentralisation in Victoria’, prepared for Joshua Morris MLC, Member for Western Victoria.
- Julia Boys (Swinburne University of Technology) for her research report titled ‘Political protest or error at the ballot box? — an investigation into the causes and possible solutions to informal voting in Victorian state elections’, prepared for Michael Gidley MP, Member for Mount Waverley.
Semester one participants in the 2017 parliamentary internship program.
Semester two participants in the 2017 parliamentary internship program.
- Published: Wednesday, 13 December 2017 11:36