Inquiry into Nuclear Prohibition
Terms of Reference
On 14 August 2019, the Legislative Council agreed to the following motion:
That this House requires the Environment and Planning Committee to inquire into, consider and report, within 12 months, on potential benefits to Victoria in removing prohibitions enacted by the Nuclear Activities (Prohibitions) Act 1983, and in particular, the Committee should —
(1) investigate the potential for Victoria to contribute to global low carbon dioxide energy production through enabling exploration and production of uranium and thorium;
(2) identify economic, environmental and social benefits for Victoria, including those related to medicine, scientific research, exploration and mining;
(3) identify opportunities for Victoria to participate in the nuclear fuel cycle; and
(4) identify any barriers to participation, including limitations caused by federal or local laws and regulations.
* The reporting date for this inquiry has been changed to 30 November 2020.