Inquiry into the Use of Cannabis in Victoria
Terms of Reference
On 30 May 2019, the Legislative Council agreed to the following motion:
That this house, requires the Legal and Social Issues Committee to inquire into, consider and report, by no later than 2 March 2020, into the best means to —
- prevent young people and children from accessing and using cannabis in Victoria;
- protect public health and public safety in relation to the use of cannabis in Victoria;
- implement health education campaigns and programs to ensure children and young people are aware of the dangers of drug use, in particular, cannabis use;
- prevent criminal activity relating to the illegal cannabis trade in Victoria;
- assess the health, mental health, and social impacts of cannabis use on people who use cannabis, their families and carers;
and further requires the Committee to assess models from international jurisdictions that have been successful in achieving these outcomes and consider how they may be adapted for Victoria.
* The reporting date for this inquiry has been changed to 5 August 2021.